EL BLOG DE AMPOWERFLOWER

Aventuras y anécdotas fuera de casa

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Cheesecake factory :)

Voy muy retrasada escribiendo todas las miles de cosas que he hecho y he visto desde que he llegado a USA, pero aunque lo ire haciendo poco a poco, hoy os voy a contar lo que hice el viernes pasado para cenar, realmente una experiencia americana ;)I'm really delayed writing all the things I've done and seen since I'm here in the US, but even though I'll do it soon, today I'll tell you what we did last Friday for dinner, a real American experiences.Mis companeros me hablaron de un sitio llamado "The Cheesecake factory", un restaurante cuya especialidad son las tartas de queso con todo tipo de cosas, tartas de al menos 25 cm de altura, con cremas, mantequilla de cacahuete, caramelo, brownie, etc. My lab colleagues told me about a place called "The Cheesecake factory", a restaurant specialized in cheese cakes with all kind of flavours. The cakes are around 25 cm high with cream, peanut butter, brownie, etc.
Habiamos hablado sobre este sitio durante la semana y finalmente el viernes, mi companera Jessica propuso ir alli a cenar. Jessica e Yves, mi compi frances, nos iban contando a Thomas y a mi como eran las raciones en este sitio y la gran cantidad de comida, por lo que pedir un menu entero mas la tarta de queso, es casi imposible.We've been talking during the week about this place and finally, on Friday my lab mate Jessica suggested going there for dinner. Jessica and Yves, my French colleague told us about the portions of this place and the huge amounts of food, so ordering a whole menu there is almost impossible.
Llegamos a este sitio que esta a unos 10 minutos de Evanston, en un centro comercial enorme. Habia mucha gente y entre ellos, algunas personas de grandes dimensiones :) y al llegar, pude ver en un mostrador las clases de tartas que tenian (foto).
The restaurant is in a huge shopping mall 10 minutes driving far from Evanston. There were a lot of people there, some of them really big :) and when we arrived there, I could see the different kinds of cake they have (picture).
Thomas pidio una hamburguesa, yo un plato de pasta con verdura, gambas y pollo, el plato era gigante y solo me pude comer una pequena parte. El resto me lo lleve a casa en una "doggie bag" un concepto que realmente me gusta. Mi otro companero, Yves, solo pidio un pequeno entrante, haciendo hueco para el trozo de tarta, el sabia muy bien como funcionaba el asunto, jeje!
Thomas ordered a burger and I ordered pasta with veggies, shrimp and chickent. It was huge and I couldn't eat everything, so I took the rest in a doggie bag, a concept I really like. My other colleague, Yves, ordered a small appetizer because he knew how big the pieces of cake were, hehe!

Yo lo estaba flipando cada vez que veia al camarero traer y llevar esos trozos de tarta gigante, como podeis ver en la foto, por no mencionar los enormes vasos de bebida que incluyen un segundo vaso gratis. Solo pude beber el primero y fue bastante, jeje!
Thomas pidio un trozo de tarta llamado "Reese's cheese cake" que tenia mantequilla de cacahuete, tarta de queso, chocolate, etc en varias capas. Era pesadisimo y nos reimos un monton. Yo me pedi un "Brownie Sundae Cheesecake" con una guinda encima y crema de chocolate por si era poco dulce, madre mia! Antonia e Yves optaron por algo mas ligero, las variedades de crema de vainilla y tiramisu. Jessica pidio tarta de queso con crema de coco, estaba muy bueno. I was freaking out every time I saw the waiters bringing those huge pieces of cake as you can see in the picture and also when I saw the giant glasses of cola or other drinks. A refill is included in the price, but I didn't ask for it, it was already too much for me, hehe! Thomas ordered a piece of cake called "Reese's cheesecake" with peanut butter, cheese cake and chocolate in layers. It was really heavy and we laughed a lot. I took a "Brownie Sundae Cheesecake" with a cherry on top and chocolate sauce just in case it didn't have enough sugar :) Oh my God! Antonia and Yves chose something lighter, the vanilla cheesecake and the tiramisu option. Jessica took a cake with coconut cream, really delicious.

La experiencia estuvo genial, lo pase muy bien, nos reimos mucho y comimos y bebimos aun mas!! Al final de la cena de broma pensamos que nos deberian haber ofrecido un chupito de insulina para metabolizar todo el azucar que habiamos consumido, jajajajaja!! Fue una noche muy dulce, en coclusion. Al llegar a casa, Thomas y yo nos fuimos una hora al gimnasio...se puede hacer todo en esta vida, no?
The experience was great, I had a nice time there, we laughed a lot and we drank and ate even more!! At the end of the night we joked about having an insuline shot to metabolize the big amount of sugar we consumed, hahaha!! It was a very sweet night. When we arrived home, Thomas and I did one hour sport in the gym of our building...you can do everything in life, right? Lo cierto es que me lo pase genial y como experiencia americana me gusto bastante, hoy he terminado de comerme el trozo de tarta que tenia en casa.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's unfair to call this a "real american experience", just yet - not all americans do this, and certainly not on regular basis ;p.
    You went out for dinner, just like you would have in Europe... just had to play by "local rules" - slightly larger portions, but you get to take home whatever you don't finish (and thus you have leftover). One of my favorite things about college towns in US is there should be a great deal of food diversity for you to test out - everyone wins!

    I think you should be able to find an Amish community nearby... that is also well worth a visit
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should know that this restaurant has a reputation for serving big portions of everything :) That said, things are bigger here... Been to a Walmart yet? This will be a fun blog to follow!

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it unfair? there is nothing wrong with it, I found it very nice actually and I enjoyed it :). I've tried at least 15 different places for dinner, but this one was the most different for me, that was what I meant, but maybe it was not so clear :). I've tried some Amish stuff, but just in a normal restaurant, but of course I'd like to visit one of these communities and if you have more suggestions, they are welcome!!

    @ Cameron: yes, my colleagues told me that, but I couldn't imagine :) it was surprising, hehe! I've visited a "Target" really big and Best Buy, but I ordered a lot of things from Walmart online, I guess it is also huge. I'll write more, hehe!

    Thank u guys for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amparo!
    Just wanted to let you know that really like your blog and the way you write it is like you're actually talking to me :)
    And you believe that I have a Dutch friend that actually made use of his free refil after he finished a 1L (!) beaker of coca cola - though it was not so funny anymore when he was in the back seat of the car burping ...
    Besos,
    Veronique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Veronique!
    Thanks a lot for your compliment :)) I want to write it in a simple way and funny also. I can't also drink so much, but some of my friends in Spain would be super happy about the refilling, they can order 3 or 4 bottles of cola during dinner, with the refill is easier :).
    I'll keep on writing, hehe!! there are many nice things to come!
    Gr!
    Amparo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amparo,

    I can imagine watching the pictures that the pieces were a little bit to big!! But thank god for the doggie baggs there. That way you can enjoy the cake later at home.

    Kis Ester

    ReplyDelete